Thinking about going out for Thai food? I'm not. Ill be on my couch, in my fuzzy socks, watching New Girl with a big bowl of carrots, whole wheat noodles, and a spicy ginger dressing. Add-ins are totally optional, but I highly encourage you to saute your carrot pasta in some sesame or olive oil and toss them with the soba noodles. You wont even realize that you're eating carrots over noodles.
- 1 oz soba (or whole wheat pasta) noodles (or about a handful)
- 2 large, fat carrots that you can spiralize easily
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 egg
- Add ins: edamame, radish, cashews, chicken, bean sprouts, cilantro, sweet basil, bamboo shoots, broccoli (basically whatever you want or have in your fridge that needs to be consumed)
- Spiralize carrots and cut onions into long thin slices. The easiest way I have found to do this is by cutting the onion in half from root end to root and and then slicing from the small end to the small end. make sense? no? follow this guide.
- Put 2 tbsps of olive oil or sesame oil (or a mix) into a large saute pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot (it will sizzle if you sprinkle water on it) add the carrots and onion. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the carrots are a bit softer and the onions are starting to brown. Turn the heat to low while you cook the pasta and whatever add ins (if any) you want.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt. Add soba noodles or whole wheat pasta and cook according to instructions on the box. Prior to draining the pasta, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add the pasta to the skillet with the onions and carrots and crack the egg in.
- Scramble the egg in the pan with the pasta and the carrots and onions so that everything is coated. Once the egg is mostly cooked, add the 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water, ginger, minced garlic, almond butter, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Stir everything together until it is all uniformly coated.
- Plate with a squeeze of fresh lime and dig in!