- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- In a small bowl, combine yeast and warm water and let sit until mixture becomes frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk milk, honey and butter together over low heat in a small saucepan until honey and butter are completely dissolved.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with knead hook attached, place milk and yeast mixtures together. Add 1.5 cups of flour and the salt. Mix and continue adding all the flour until a sticky dough is formed.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down and roll out to 1/2 an inch thick. Cut with a circular shaped object (wine glass, tuna can, etc) and dust with flour. Place on baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap until doubled in size- about 1.5 hours.
- Heat a cast iron skillet with oil (grapeseed, olive, canola, whatever) over medium heat. Fry the dough rounds until bottom is browned and sides look cooked through*.
*Always roll the dough to be on the thinner side so that you can be sure it cooks all the way though.