- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 2 tbsps granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Mix the yeast with the warm water and allow it to sit for 5 minutes until you see the yeast spread and multiply. Stir in the zest, juice, salt, sugar, egg, butter and 1 cup of flour.
- Slowly stir in the rest of the flour until a soft dough is formed. It should be sticky (that way you will have nice soft rolls instead of them being to doughy). Cover and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. After it has rested turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size about an hour and a half.
- Grease two 9 inch round pans. On a floured surface roll out the risen dough into a large rectangle (15x 9 inches) with the long end facing you. Mix the filling together- then spread the butter on the dough right up to all the edges. Then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture evenly over the surface.
- On the long sides roll the dough up to the end and then pinch to seal. Cut off 1 inch slices from the dough and place in the baking dishes. Cover and put in the fridge overnight (for best results) or at least an hour.
- When ready to bake pre heat the over to 375˚F. Bake the rolls uncovered until the tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. During the time they are baking prepare the frosting by creaming the cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the juice, zest, vanilla and salt. Spread the frosting onto the rolls while they are still warm. Serve immediately.