Lemon and butter are a match made in heaven. Big thanks to Food52 for the inspriation for these little, delicious muffins, some getting sprinkled with fresh, organic blueberries.
Heres the recipe.. Adapted just a tid from Food52!
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (totally trying spelt next time)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter (room temp.)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- (and some blueberries if they're on hand)
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 350˚
2. Mix the flour, baking soda, and a crunch of salt into a bowl
3. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and then beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in one tablespoon of lemon zest, the poppy seeds and vanilla extract. With mixer on low beat in half the flour mixture, then the sour cream and finish with the rest of the flour- add the blueberries if using.
4. Pour the batter into a lined muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or about 5 minutes longer with the blueberries
5. Create the glaze by melting the honey and lemon juice together (maybe add a little zest for decoration?)
6. When the muffins are done take them out of the oven, prick them a few times with a toothpick and pour 1/2 tsp of the honey mixture over the hot muffin
Don't wait to cool and scorch your tongue on hot blueberries!!!