- ¼ cup warm water
- ½ cup buttermilk at room temp
- 1 large egg at room temp
- 2 ¼ cups AP flour
- 1 package rapid rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, very cold
- Sprinkle yeast over the warm water and milk with a little bit of the honey (I took 1/2 teaspoon from the 1 tablespoon) and let stand until the mixture starts to foam a little bit. Then, beat egg with a fork until broken up and add to milk-yeast mixture. Beat mixture with fork again until just combined. Set aside.
- Place a large bowl near the food processor. Put the flour and salt in the food processor and give it a mix. Add the cold slices of butter and honey all at once but scattered around the batter. Give it about 5 short pulses so that you can see fairly large pieces of butter still. Empty this into the bowl and add egg, milk and yeast mixture.
- Use your hands rubber spatula to mix everything together but dont over do it (you want the butter still very much visible. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Take the dough out and turn it into pastry! Roll out to a 20" square, using enough flour to prevent sticking. Fold dough into thirds like a business letter and then turn it so that the closed fold is on your left (like a book). Roll dough out again into a large square, repeating the above steps three times.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes at least or up to 4 days (or freeze).
- Once it has bulked up in the fridge (I left it overnight) and you have prepared the fillings, take it out and roll it into a thin big square and cut into smaller squares. Reserve any of the extras as you can put them together and re-roll them out
Lemon Raspberry Goat Cheese Filling
- 1 container raspberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- goat cheese
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Heat the raspberries, honey and water together on low heat, stirring occasionally until it is very think (about 20 minutes)
- Mix the goat cheese, salt, honey and lemon zest together.
- Put a dollop in the middle and top with raspberry filling. Gather the four corners of the pastry dough and pinch together in the center
- 1/2 cup almond flour (blended almonds)
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp butter at room temperature
- 2 tbsp water
- Bring water and honey together to a simmer in saucepan. Once mixed together turn off heat and add the almond extract. Mix and pour over the almond flour. Mix well then add butter until well incorporated.