- 1/2 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1.5 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 11 oz AP flour
- 2 oz melted butter
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablesppon of water
- Large sea salt crystals
- Combine water and sourdough starter. Mix well until all starter is dissolved.
- Add flour, melted butter, honey and salt.
- Place into kitchenaid mixer and knead on medium speed until it is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl and slap the sides of it (approx. 5 mintues)
- Remove the dough from the bowl and clean it and then wipe it with oil. (Or be like me and hold the dough in one hand while looking for olive oil with the other and scraping little bits off the side of the bowl)
- Cover with plastic and a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise for 6 hours, until doubled in size.
- Pre heat oven to 450˚ F. Line two pans with parchments and lightly brush with olive oil.
- Bring the 10 cups of water and baking soda to a rolling boil.
- Turn dough out onto lightly oiled surface and divide into 8 separate pieces. Roll out each piece to a 24 inch rope and shape into pretzels. Place shaped pretzels onto the parchment lined sheets.
- Place pretzels into the boiling water one by one for about 30 seconds each. Remove them and place them back on the parchment and brush with the egg wash. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake until dark brown in color, about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving